MusicMatch Problems With Track Tags
Admiral Halsey
2004-09-25 18:10:34 UTC
I've contacted MusicMatch about this (and by rquest, submitted a SECOND set
of detailed answers to them). I have a dread feeling that their Tech
Support won't be much help. It's a complicated problem, but it boils down
to this:

MusicMatch it shows all track numbers as "00", in the "Edit Track Info"
window. But it shows track numbers properly in its Music Library.
See a screenshot here: Loading Image...

---------
In that picture, "Track 03" in the Music Library is "Track Number 00" in the
"Edit Track Info" window.
So if I rename files by "track number", MusicMatch will prepend them all
with "00 -".
If I edit a file from "Track 00" to "Track 03" (for example), now MusicMatch
treats it properly. But I'm hoping to avoid editing each file manually.

I don't know where the problem originates, so I'm waiting for replies before
trying anything drastic. MusicMatch has this link:
http://wwws.musicmatch.com/faq/TAG008.htm. Is that the solution? It seems
like the tag is being read correctly, but there's a bug in MusicMatch.
Maybe.

The solution will probably be one of these:
- Get a patch or add-on file for MusicMatch, to fix the track numbers.
- Use Windows Media Player for this.
- Use Creative PlayCenter, "Notmad", or other file management program to
prepare files for Windows & MusicMatch.

Here's the whole story:

HP Pavilion 7965 - 1.7GHZ-Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM, running Windows XP, SP2.
What is it that you are trying to accomplish with Musicmatch Jukebox?Adding
track numbers to files so that they'll always be played in their original
track order "alphabetically", even if I burn them to an MP3 disc. The Music
Library screen shows proper track numbers, but all tracks are named "Track
00" by Musicmatch. The "Edit Track Info" screen shows all files as "Track
"00". But, if I manually edit a track (to Track "12" for example), then
renaming works fine. All track numbers look exactly the same on screen
before and after I manually edit them! I would prefer to have this done
automatically, since MusicMatch already has the data.

What are the exact steps you are taking leading up to the problem?In the
Music Library, select a file (for example, "We_ll Meet Again.mp3"). Click on
"Super Tagging" then "Rename Files". For Field 1, select "Track Number". But
it doesn't matter what I try. Any "renaming" steps that should rename the
tracks, has this same problem.

What is the exact point at which the trouble occurs?
After Super Tagging, the file will be named "00 - We_ll Meet Again.mp3".
But, according to the Music Library screen, it's track "12".

How often does the problem occur?
Always. Unless I edit each file manually, all filenames are prepended with
"00 - ".

Are there any error messages associated with the problem?
No.

Is this the first time you have installed Musicmatch Jukebox, did you
install over a previous version using a setup file you downloaded from our
web site, or did you use the Update Software feature inside the Options menu
of Musicmatch Jukebox?
I installed over the previous version 6.0.

If you updated from a previous version of Musicmatch Jukebox, did this
problem first occur right after your update?
No. I upgraded to version 9.0 because of this problem, hoping it was fixed
in the new version..

Do all of your files have an extension of ".MP3"?
Yes.

What are the exact names of the song files with which you are having trouble
(please include the file extensions)?
"We_ll Meet Again.mp3", for example. All files have the same problem.

Did you create these songs yourself, download them from the Internet or play
them over the Internet (stream)? If you created them yourself, did you use
Musicmatch Jukebox or another application? If it was another application,
which software did you use to create the songs?
I used Creative PlayCenter to rip the files to a Creative Nomad Jukebox,
then PlayCenter again, to save them back to my PC (due to the installation
of a larger hard drive, I could now save all my files). I then tried to use
MusicMatch for file re-naming (to make MP3 data CDs, etc.). Except for
MusicMatch "renaming", the track numbers, and album names are all displayed
correctly in MusicMatch's "Music Library".

Are the files you are having trouble with stored on your local hard disk or
on a network drive?
Local hard disk

Are the songs set to read only?
No.
Admiral Halsey
2004-09-26 01:01:14 UTC
I figured it out! Yippee!
After I did a clean install, MusicMatch noticed the difference in track
numbers and asked me which format to use. Selecting "Use ID3V2 Tag Info" for
the Music Library settings, displays all the tracks properly.
Then all I had to do was select my entire Music Library, and Rename all the
files with "SuperTagging". Now they all have track numbers prefixed to
their filenames, and will play in their original CD order, even if I copy
them to an older MP3 player.
NeoRenegade
2004-09-26 01:32:41 UTC
See a screenshot here: http://www.kunarion.com/users/sno_bird/pic/track.gif
---------
[...]
Use a proper tagging program such as MP3 Tag Studio.
http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/

- NR