Genre distinctions?
Terry Pinnell
2004-04-20 13:09:48 UTC
My first post here, so hope I'm in an appropriate group?

I'm trying to organise my media library. That includes assigning an
appropriate genre to every one of my 2,000 or so WMA files. I see that
the Genre drop-down list in WMP9 contains no fewer than 127 types. As
I'm a certain age, happily I can remain contentedly ignorant of many
of these. But that still leaves a lot with which I'm having some
trouble. So I'd appreciate some help, or pointers to useful resources
please. Ideally, I'd like to *listen* to one or two examples of each
of the dozen or so genres I expect to use. That way, for instance,
presumably I'd be pretty sure when to assign Acid Jazz instead of
Jazz. But short of that, any comments or resource pointers would be
helpful please.

Apart from the fundamental problem that the definitions are inherently
subjective, the main cause of my haziness is that any track can
logically have multiple genres. Pop and Oldie, Rock and Musicals,
Instrumental & Pop, Rock and Pop and Oldie, Pop and Easy Listening,
etc. But you can assign only one. So that limits the use you can make
of them later (which is presumably the only point of entering genres).
If say you've spurned the use of Oldie and chosen on the basis of
style rather than age, then you will never be able to rustle up a
nostalgic playlist of your childhood or teen stuff. And if you've
rejected Easy Listening for something more specific, maybe you'll rue
the day when you just want to curl up with a bottle of dry white for
some ... easy listening.

The following short list of examples illustrates my descending order
of confidence. Some of the assignments are mine, added from cold, and
some are those already inherited in my files, awaiting possible
re-consideration.

Tchaikovsky, Symphony #6 = Classical
Frank Sinatra, Come Fly with Me = Vocal
Barbra Streisand, Big Bad Wolf = Vocals
Dave Brubeck, Take Five = Jazz
Presley, Hound Dog = Rock (Pop? Rock/Pop? Soundtrack? Oldies)
Ray Charles, Georgia = Pop (Oldie?)
Swingle Singers, Pink Panther Theme = A capella (Easy Listening?)
Swingle Singers, Liebster Jesu, (from Bach Hits Back) = A capella
All unaccompanied Swingle whether pop/jazz/classical = A capella (?)
Bach, Various on Moog = Electronic (not Classical)
Presley, Don't = Pop (Rock? Slow love song; so why not Vocal?)
Beatles, Love Me Do = Pop (But original had Rock)
Beatles, Yesterday = Pop (Not Rock? Pop/Rock?)
Herb Alpert, La Virgen de la Macarena = Instrumental Pop (?)
Elton John, Candle in the Wind = Easy Listening (Pop? Vocals?)
Ella Fitzgerald, Lady Is A Tramp = Jazz (Vocals?)
Sarah Vaughan & Thelonius Monk, Fly Me To The Moon = Jazz (Vocals?)
Peggy Lee & Thelonius Monk, Fever = Jazz (Oldies? Vocals?)
Barbra Streisand & Michael Crawford, Music of the Night = Vocals
(Showtunes?)
Platters, (American Graffiti), Smoke Gets in Your Eyes = Musicals
Platters, isolated track, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes = Pop (?)
Chris Andrews, Yesterday Man = Oldies? Pop?
Acker Bilk, Stranger on the Shore = Pop (Instrumental?)
Terry, West Sussex, UK
dadiOH
2004-04-20 13:51:11 UTC
Post by Terry Pinnell
My first post here, so hope I'm in an appropriate group?
Most anything goes here. Except those stupid, useless, space and time wasting "what's your favorite song by so and so" posts.
__________________________
What belongs in what genre is pretty much up to your definition, I know no place that has archetypes of each genre. However, when you are in doubt you could look up the tune at http://www.allmusic.com/ and see what they call it.
__________________________
Post by Terry Pinnell
Apart from the fundamental problem that the definitions are
inherently subjective, the main cause of my haziness is that any
track can logically have multiple genres.
Yep. And that's one of the inherent shortcomings of tags. Tags were a wonderful idea but the implementation thereof sucked. Version 2 tags were an attempt to fix v1 shortcomings but they put them in the wrong place.

What is needed is fewer genres and a field for sub-genre. Could have been done easily originally in the same amount of space (1 byte) but it's too late now. All you can do now is to use a third party music database app that will allow same. See my dandies below for some...
--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________
Terry Pinnell
2004-04-20 14:15:38 UTC
Post by Terry Pinnell
Apart from the fundamental problem that the definitions are
inherently subjective, the main cause of my haziness is that any
track can logically have multiple genres.
Yep. And that's one of the inherent shortcomings of tags. Tags were a wonderful idea but the implementation thereof sucked. Version 2 tags were an attempt to fix v1 shortcomings but they put them in the wrong place.
What is needed is fewer genres and a field for sub-genre. Could have been done easily originally in the same amount of space (1 byte) but it's too late now. All you can do now is to use a third party music database app that will allow same. See my dandies below for some...
Many thanks, just downloaded and unpacked it and looking forward to
browsing soon.

Sub-genres - now that *would* be good...
Terry, West Sussex, UK
dadiOH
2004-04-20 16:37:22 UTC
Post by Terry Pinnell
Sub-genres - now that *would* be good...
Personally, I use the comment field for same. It shows in my MP3Stock database so I can sort on it without problem.
--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________
Joe
2004-04-20 17:04:19 UTC
Post by Terry Pinnell
Sub-genres - now that *would* be good...
Well, you can put anything in version 2 tag genres. Thats the best
feature of them. So i am using the scheme 'genre-subgenre' like
Jazz-Dixie, Rock-Hard etc. Works fine for me.

r.
joe
michael turner
2004-04-20 14:21:15 UTC
Post by Terry Pinnell
[...]
I had a similar thing when I loaded my loaded all my music into iTunes
and iPod. I ended up with something like 130 genres, it took me a
few hours going thru them, and in the end I got it down to a more
manageable 13:

Alternative/Punk
Classical
Dance
Easy Listening
Electronica
Folk
Jazz
Metal
Oldies
Pop
R&B
Reggae
Rock

Let's have a look at your list (my comments in CAPS):

--------
Tchaikovsky, Symphony #6 = Classical CLASSICAL
Frank Sinatra, Come Fly with Me = Vocal EASY LISTENING
Barbra Streisand, Big Bad Wolf = Vocals EASY LISTENING
Dave Brubeck, Take Five = Jazz JAZZ
Presley, Hound Dog = Rock (Pop? Rock/Pop? Soundtrack? Oldies) OLDIES
Ray Charles, Georgia = Pop (Oldie?) OLDIES OR EASY LISTENING
Swingle Singers, Pink Panther Theme = A capella (Easy Listening?) EASY LISTENING
Swingle Singers, Liebster Jesu, (from Bach Hits Back) = A capella DON'T KNOW IT, VOCAL ?
All unaccompanied Swingle whether pop/jazz/classical = A capella (?) VOCAL ?
Bach, Various on Moog = Electronic (not Classical) ELECTRONICA
Presley, Don't = Pop (Rock? Slow love song; so why not Vocal?) OLDIES
Beatles, Love Me Do = Pop (But original had Rock) OLDIES
Beatles, Yesterday = Pop (Not Rock? Pop/Rock?) OLDIES
Herb Alpert, La Virgen de la Macarena = Instrumental Pop (?) INSTRUMENTAL
Elton John, Candle in the Wind = Easy Listening (Pop? Vocals?) POP
Ella Fitzgerald, Lady Is A Tramp = Jazz (Vocals?) EASY LISTENING
Sarah Vaughan & Thelonius Monk, Fly Me To The Moon = Jazz (Vocals?) EASY LISTENING
Peggy Lee & Thelonius Monk, Fever = Jazz (Oldies? Vocals?) JAZZ OR EASY LISTENING
Barbra Streisand & Michael Crawford, Music of the Night = Vocals (Showtunes?) EASY LISTENING ?
Platters, (American Graffiti), Smoke Gets in Your Eyes = Musicals OLDIES
Platters, isolated track, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes = Pop (?) OLDIES
Chris Andrews, Yesterday Man = Oldies? Pop? OLDIES
Acker Bilk, Stranger on the Shore = Pop (Instrumental?) JAZZ
--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)
***@ivetva.arg
michael turner
2004-04-20 14:30:21 UTC
Post by michael turner
--------
[...]
Oh yeh...how I differentiate between OLDIES and POP, if it's '70s or later then it's POP,
--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)
***@ivetva.arg
Callipygian Nullifidian
2004-04-20 17:22:56 UTC
"michael turner" <***@ivetva.arg> wrote in message news:***@ivetva.arg...
: On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:09:48 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
[snip]
: Let's have a look at your list (my comments in CAPS):
:
: --------
[...]

Mike, man, you're worse off than the original poster. Look, it's
incredibly simple. Elvis Presley was a _rock_ musician. The Beatles
were _rock_. Ella Fitzgerald is _jazz_. Thelonius Monk is _jazz_.

Don't mind me, I just get so sick of people putting random, ignorant
labels on everything. If you really don't know, don't label it
(unless you aren't sharing those files).
michael turner
2004-04-20 17:38:06 UTC
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
[snip]
: --------
[...]
In case you didn't realize Elvis done all sorts of music, The early stuff
was Rock'n'Roll. And songs like 'In The Ghetto', 'Wooden Heart' and 'Old
Shep' are hardly rock.

Now something like Led Zeppelin or Hawkwind IS rock.

The Beatles
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
were _rock_.
And since when is something like 'Yesterday', 'Norwegian Wood' or
'Michelle' classified as rock ?

Ella Fitzgerald is _jazz_. Thelonius Monk is _jazz_.

OK.
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
Don't mind me, I just get so sick of people putting random, ignorant
labels on everything. If you really don't know, don't label it
(unless you aren't sharing those files).
Perhaps you should do more homework about the various types of music that
these artists done.
--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)
***@ivetva.arg
Callipygian Nullifidian
2004-04-20 18:06:18 UTC
: On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:22:56 -0500, Callipygian Nullifidian wrote:

: In case you didn't realize Elvis done all sorts of music, The early
stuff
: was Rock'n'Roll. And songs like 'In The Ghetto', 'Wooden Heart' and
'Old
: Shep' are hardly rock.

'Wooden Heart' and 'Old Shep' aren't ringing any bells just now, but
'In The Ghetto' was rock. I'm not sure why I'm bothering to reply to
someone who thinks that "oldies" and "pop" are musical genres.

: Now something like Led Zeppelin or Hawkwind IS rock.

Yes, Led Zeppelin and Hawkwind both rock.

: The Beatles
: > were _rock_.
:
: And since when is something like 'Yesterday', 'Norwegian Wood' or
: 'Michelle' classified as rock ?

Since always. Even "Act Naturally" was rock. Your ignorance would be
astounding, if it weren't for the fact that the majority of people on
this planet are equally ignorant.

I've been collecting music since 1969. How long have you?

: Ella Fitzgerald is _jazz_. Thelonius Monk is _jazz_.
:
: OK.
:
: > Don't mind me, I just get so sick of people putting random,
ignorant
: > labels on everything. If you really don't know, don't label it
: > (unless you aren't sharing those files).
:
: Perhaps you should do more homework about the various types of music
that
: these artists done.

If you knew anything, you wouldn't have said that. You certainly
don't know what rock music is.

BTW, since you show few signs of intelligence, on top of your
ignorance, you will be ignored in future.
seani
2004-04-20 16:49:54 UTC
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
: In case you didn't realize Elvis done all sorts of music, The early
stuff
: was Rock'n'Roll. And songs like 'In The Ghetto', 'Wooden Heart' and
'Old
: Shep' are hardly rock.
'Wooden Heart' and 'Old Shep' aren't ringing any bells just now, but 'In
The Ghetto' was rock. I'm not sure why I'm bothering to reply to someone
who thinks that "oldies" and "pop" are musical genres.
Wrong side of the bed?

They are, by any reasonable definition. So are "Songs I Like", "Poor Cover
Versions", "Egyptian Electro-Folk". When it comees to *my* music, if *I*
consider a song to belong to any of these classifications, the
*subjective* opinions of others such as yourself don't matter in the
slightest.
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
: Now something like Led Zeppelin or Hawkwind IS rock.
Yes, Led Zeppelin and Hawkwind both rock.
: The Beatles
: > were _rock_.
: And since when is something like 'Yesterday', 'Norwegian Wood' or
: 'Michelle' classified as rock ?
Since always. Even "Act Naturally" was rock. Your ignorance would be
astounding, if it weren't for the fact that the majority of people on
this planet are equally ignorant.
But not equally rude or intolerant, thank God.
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
I've been collecting music since 1969. How long have you?
Irrelevant.
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
: Ella Fitzgerald is _jazz_. Thelonius Monk is _jazz_.
: OK.
: > Don't mind me, I just get so sick of people putting random,
ignorant
: > labels on everything. If you really don't know, don't label it
: > (unless you aren't sharing those files).
: Perhaps you should do more homework about the various types of music
that
: these artists done.
If you knew anything, you wouldn't have said that. You certainly don't
know what rock music is.
BTW, since you show few signs of intelligence, on top of your ignorance,
you will be ignored in future.
Scarcely any great loss for the Michael Turner, and it certainly
won't be for me.

How much is being ignored by a sanctimonious prick
supposed to hurt?
michael turner
2004-04-20 22:44:39 UTC
Post by seani
How much is being ignored by a sanctimonious prick
supposed to hurt?
The genre 'Sanctimonious Asshole' comes to mind with "Callipygian
Nullifidian".
--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)
***@ivetva.arg
michael turner
2004-04-20 22:42:05 UTC
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
: In case you didn't realize Elvis done all sorts of music, The early
stuff
: was Rock'n'Roll. And songs like 'In The Ghetto', 'Wooden Heart' and
'Old
: Shep' are hardly rock.
'Wooden Heart' and 'Old Shep' aren't ringing any bells just now, but
'In The Ghetto' was rock. I'm not sure why I'm bothering to reply to
someone who thinks that "oldies" and
Perhaps 'oldies' is a bit vague, because I've got too many MP3s in that
section. probably will sub-divide it into '50s and '60s.

"pop" are musical genres.

So what genre is something like 'ABBA' or 'Spice Girls' then ?? It
certainly ain't heavy-metal, it's POP.
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
: Now something like Led Zeppelin or Hawkwind IS rock.
Yes, Led Zeppelin and Hawkwind both rock.
: The Beatles
: > were _rock_.
: And since when is something like 'Yesterday', 'Norwegian Wood' or
: 'Michelle' classified as rock ?
Since always. Even "Act Naturally" was rock. Your ignorance would be
astounding, if it weren't for the fact that the majority of people on
this planet are equally ignorant.
Some I'm expected to have 'Act Naturally' and 'Michelle' in the same
genre as 'Silver Machine - Hawkwind' and 'Immigrant Song' - Led Zeppelin'?
Nah I don't think so.

I'll just carry on classifying my MP3s the way it's suit my listening
habbits.
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
I've been collecting music since 1969. How long have you?
1971.
Post by Callipygian Nullifidian
: Ella Fitzgerald is _jazz_. Thelonius Monk is _jazz_.
: OK.
: > Don't mind me, I just get so sick of people putting random,
ignorant
: > labels on everything. If you really don't know, don't label it
: > (unless you aren't sharing those files).
: Perhaps you should do more homework about the various types of music
that
: these artists done.
If you knew anything, you wouldn't have said that. You certainly don't
know what rock music is.
BTW, since you show few signs of intelligence, on top of your ignorance,
you will be ignored in future.
Are you some kind of MP3 netKKKop ?
--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)
***@ivetva.arg
Terry Pinnell
2004-04-29 09:06:28 UTC
Post by michael turner
[...]
Thanks, appreciate your notes. Sorry for late reply; carelessness with
my newsreader delayed my reading it.

Together with seani's comments, plus input elsewhere, that helps
crystallise my view that I'm chasing moonbeams in seeking anything
'definitive'. Subjectivity and personal taste clearly rule! But I'll
also explore the use of comment fields and possibly 'sub-genres'. BTW,
don't forget I pointed out my great age. So my Oldies really *are*
old; I'm talking 50s here... <g>.

As for Callipygian Nullifidian, I can't improve on seani's accurate
reply. The succinct characterisation of 'sanctimonious prick' seems
particularly apt on this brief acquaintance!
Terry, West Sussex, UK
michael turner
2004-04-30 05:40:12 UTC
Post by Terry Pinnell
Thanks, appreciate your notes. Sorry for late reply; carelessness with
my newsreader delayed my reading it.
Together with seani's comments, plus input elsewhere, that helps
crystallise my view that I'm chasing moonbeams in seeking anything
'definitive'. Subjectivity and personal taste clearly rule!
Exactly right.

In my case the 12 or so genres I've chosen are for my benefit and use.
Which is playing music on an iPod in the car. Where I'll just select
'rock', 'pop', 'easy-listening' etc. Each 'genre' has 200-800 MP3s
in it, playing randomly for the 8-12 hours that I'm out driving on company
business.
Post by Terry Pinnell
But I'll
also explore the use of comment fields and possibly 'sub-genres'. BTW,
don't forget I pointed out my great age. So my Oldies really *are*
old; I'm talking 50s here... <g>.
:-)
Post by Terry Pinnell
As for Callipygian Nullifidian, I can't improve on seani's accurate
reply. The succinct characterisation of 'sanctimonious prick' seems
particularly apt on this brief acquaintance!
True.
--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)
***@ivetva.arg
seani
2004-04-30 22:18:39 UTC
Post by michael turner
[...]
The ability to flexibly select and manipulate genres is something I'd
really like to see in a portable MP3 player, and I've suggested as much on
the Rio Karma forum.

Take a browse here if you have any interest:

http://forums-riovolution.com/index.php?showtopic=1545&hl=

I've reconsidered what I suggested in the post a bit. I think what I
*really* want is the ability to filter quickly on multiple keywords, and
for that keyword list to be generated automatically from the ID3 tags in
my MP3s. I don't think this would result in *much* extra data to process,
and it would allow me to classify and select "chillout jazz" and the like.

There's a couple of very basic JS demos linked in the thread, but I really
should write a standalone scanner to demo it properly. It would certainly
address all my requirements when it comes to selecting playlists.
Callipygian Nullifidian
2004-04-20 17:11:08 UTC
"Terry Pinnell" <***@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
: My first post here, so hope I'm in an appropriate group?
:
: I'm trying to organise my media library. That includes assigning an
: appropriate genre to every one of my 2,000 or so WMA files

Nope, this group is about mp3 files....didn't you notice the name of
the group?

BTW, from your list of songs and tentative genre labelling, I can see
that you are in severe need of musical education. Please don't take
that as an attack, it's simply obvious that you haven't a clue about
genres.